1. Jazz. Please don't tell me in pompous tones that it's because I don't understand it. I don't. I have no desire to. It's long, amelodious (yes, I just made that word up) and it hurts my ears. What am I missing? Actually don't answer that. I don't want to be convinced. Please leave me to my dislike.
2. Music in general. Ok, that one is really weird. Granted. How can I not like music? It's not that I don't like it. I'm not just not as into it as other people seem to be. In fact until the birth of my second child (i.e. 3 weeks ago) when I started doing all my running at home on the treadmill and pulled out my ancient mp3 player, I probably had not consciously turned on music to listen to in over 3 months (not counting putting on the Pointer Sisters in the evening to dance to with la cocotte). I probably spend less than an hour a week listening to music. In all honesty, I did not know who Lady Gaga was until my colleague went to her concert a few months ago. The look of shock on her face when her post-concert rundown drew a complete blank from me was impressive. I enjoy music when I hear it but I don't really miss it when it's gone. And when I play music, I am told I have appalling taste. I won't give you a for instance...
3. Other people's children. I feel like a giant, flaming asshole writing that. It's not the sort of thing one is supposed to admit. I have never really been a baby/toddler/young child person. I'm actually quite shy and awkward around them - well I used to be until I had my own and finally figured out how to relate but I am not the natural that many people (including those without children) seem to be. I'm crazy about my own offspring (as this blog hopefully occasionally shows) and I enjoy the offspring of people I know but I don't actively seek out children at social gatherings etc.
4. Gray's Anatomy. Or any hospital drama for that matter. After going through some real-life hospital dramas with loved ones, I find hospital-drama-as-entertainment mildly repugnant at best, offensive at worst.
5. Red Velvet. I don't get it. What's the deal? The cream cheese icing, yum, I'm in. The cake part? It's just a cake, not chocolate, not vanilla, just some indistinct cakey flavour.
6. The Hunger Games. Haven't read it so I don't know for a fact that I don't like it. What I can say is that I cannot stomach dystopian tales ever since I became a mother. An effective tale of dystopia is close enough to our reality that the reader buys that the world being described could come to be. Margaret Atwood did a chilling job in her "Oryx and Crake". I bought it. It terrified and depressed me thinking this was a world I was potentially leaving behind for my childrens. No Hunger Games for me.
7. Raindrops on roses. Well, actually cultivated flowers in general. Brace yourself for the punchline. I have a masters in freaking BOTANY*. I know right?? Gardens should be for growing consumable food! Nothing bores me to tears more than looking at someone's flower garden. I don't get it. It's hours and hours and hours of work, and you can't even eat it! Do I like it when hubby brings me home cut flowers? Of course I LOVE that he thought of me especially when brings my favorite (sunflowers, yes, I don't like cultivated flowers yet I have a favorite) but I can really get by without seeing them growing in someone's backyard. Now wildflowers in a field or shaded forest floor or delicate wetland flowers, that I can appreciate the beauty of even when they are not edible.
8. Whiskers on kittens. And not just the whiskers. The whole kitten. Kittens become cats. Not such a cat person.
9. Almost all poetry. Yawn. yes I know that speaks volumes about me, not about poetry. Well, there you have it.
10. The Big Bang Theory. This wildly popular show bores me to tears. And I don't mean to imply that I am so high brow in my tastes that popular culture does not appeal to me. I can watch Modern Family and The Office (until this season) as well as 30 Rock by the hour. I adored the show Scrubs which is about as low brow as one can get (I know hospital comedy = ok, hospital drama = offensive, a little hypocritical - I guess its because dramas try to elicit emotional investment which I resent).
11. Raisins. Evil, brown wreckers of otherwise perfectly good deserts!